OEC 1938 “Commander” 500 cc OHV Matchless frame# 388849 engine # 38/OEC 8849
The Osborn Engineering Company was in business with an interruption of a number of years from 1901 to 1954. In those years a vast range of models was produced, ranging from humble light two strokes to sporting big V-twins.
OEC was very active in designing and building special frames for racing and record breaking machines.
A famous design was also the “duplex-steering spring-chassis”, an invention of John Osborn. It was introduced as “a new standard in two wheel stability” in 1927.
The idea was that the duplex “forks” would give superior steering and road holding.
To the same chassis one could have anything from a 250 single to a 1000 cc twin; in 1930 the World Speed Record was taken briefly by a duplex-steering OEC fitted with a supercharged 1000 cc JAP V-twin. Top speed was 137.32 miles per hour!
This well running machine is equipped with rear suspension and has been restored some time ago.