New Imperial 1937 499 cc ohv “ Model 76 “ frame# 37/33504/ R engine # 47/41664/76
After a rather unsuccessful attempt to enter the motorcycle market under the name “ Imperial” in 1901, the company made a serious comeback in 1910 under the name “ New Imperial” and managed to stay in business till 1939.
At first only a few models were offered, 293 cc side valve single and 8 hp twins, all with JAP engines.
New Imps got the image of “middle of the road” machines, offering good value for money. In the early twenties the company, based in Hall Green, Birmingham, became more and more active in racing and year by year more models were marketed, to expand the market share in the years in which competition between motorcycle manufacturers was fierce.
Till 1926 JAP proprietary engines were used, after that their own engines were built in.
In 1927 some 19 different models were available. In the early thirties the model range was shrunk.
In 1936 the lightweight TT was won and as a result all 1937 models got the famous unit construction engine; the design was changed in that there were separate compartments now within the unit for engine and gearbox.
This well restored machine has a four speed gearbox of New Imp manufacture.