Sarolea 1929 350 cc SV “25 O” frame# 46757 engine# 46757
The firm was established in 1850 at Herstal( Liege) as an arms factory by Joseph Saroléa.
In 1892 the production of bicycles was started.
Joseph died in 1894 and under the management of his sons the company grew bigger and bigger.
In the early years of the new century the company started to develop motorized bicycles and soon Saroléa was a force to reckon with: around 1907 the firm employed some 200 labourers and had 4000 m2 of production facilities.
In the early years of the century Saroléas were sold in Britain under the “Kerry” brand.. Both singles and V twins were made and the firm supplied engines to a number of firms in several countries.
In turn, Saroléa used a number of British components such as Sturmey Archer gearboxes and AMAC carburettors.
In the 20s the firm got successfully involved with long distance runs, reliability trials and hill climbs. From 1927 on the company made its own gearboxes and early in 1929 the factory was extended to some 6000 m2.
Nearly all components of the bikes were made in-house now and the production capacity grew to 50 machines per day.
The model range for 1929 consisted of two 75 x 79 mm 350 cc machines, the side valve “25 O” and the overhead valve “25P”.
Then there was a pair of 80.5 x 97 longstroke side valve and overhead valve 500 cc models, the “24 T” and “24 S. Top of the range was the 500 cc “24U” twin port Supersport.
Later in 1929 a brand new state-of –the-art production facility was commissioned which brought the production capacity to 75 machines per day. Saroléa was ready for the new decade…
This touring model “25 O “ has a top speed of about 85 km/hour and is relatively light with its 110 kilograms.
It has been restored some time ago and is in excellent shape.