Ariel 1915 4hp 500 cc 1 cyl sv

SOLD

Description

Ariel   1915        498 cc chain-cum-belt single           frame  16229      engine 19587

Components Ltd., the Ariel parent company, had been involved in producing motorized vehicles since 1898. 
For the 1910 season a radical change occurred in the motorcycle range. 
All previous models were discontinued and were replaced by 3 ½ HP machines that would remain in production for the next 15 years: the T-head White & Poppe engine, in which the inlet and exhaust valves were placed an extraordinarily 4 ½ inches apart. Because of this the new machines soon gained the nickname of   “ the Ariels with valves a-mile-apart”. 
The new models proved very popular with motorcycle enthusiasts and in 1911 Components Ltd. bought the patents rights of the engine and started producing the power unit itself, at the same time increasing the bore to enlarge the swept volume from 482cc to 498 cc. 
In 1914 a three-speed countershaft gearbox was added. 
The primary chain drive is housed in a neat cast aluminum cover and clutch control is by foot pedal. 
Secondary transmission is by belt. 
Comfortable spring seat is a practical detail!