1957 Ariel Square Four 995cc with Swallow Sidecar Frame no. CGM 1342 Engine no. ML 404
Registration no. LAS 136
Although the ‘square four’ principle had been tried in the early thirties, it was not until 1936 that Edward Turner, designer extraordinary, developed the 1,000cc ‘Squariel’ which established Ariel’s huge success in the big bike market.
The four-cylinder en bloc, in square formation engine with twin camshafts and with a capacity of 997cc, offered low speed tractability in top gear and punchy acceleration to its top speed of 100mph. Porting and plumbing were revised to good effect in 1953 with the arrival of the four pipe Mark II and the famous ‘Squariel’ was to remain in production until 1959. In 1957 the 4G Mark II retailed in solo form for £336.16s, although many of these bikes finished up pulling a sidecar which would take the price of a complete outfit up towards the equivalent of an almost new small car.
This machine was bought in solo form by the former owner in December 2003 as a present for her husband and, upon acquisition, a single seat Swallow sports sidecar was acquired and restored and fitted to this machine.
The outfit now has that cared for appearance of a restored bike which has been actively used and is smartly presented in traditional Ariel maroon livery, the Swallow sidecar with black pleated upholstery and furnished with a stylish wrap-round windscreen.
The machine is equipped with a perhaps slightly optimistic 0-120mph speedometer – Motor Cycling had road tested a ‘Squariel’ at 102mph in 1956.
This machine has been actively used in recent years, that use being confirmed by a series of old MoT’s, the last expiring in 2007.