BMW 1938 “R 61” 597 cc side valve horizontally opposed twin combination frame # 9186 engine # 9284
In the late thirties BMWs are sold in considerable numbers, in spite of their high prices.
The make has built up an excellent reputation for quality and luxury: from 1938 on all BMWs have both front and rear springing, features which are very uncommon for most other makes. From 1938, till the war halts production of civilian bikes, all BMW twins share a common frame and cycle parts. The 1938 BMW twin range comprises four models: two side valve machines, the 600cc R61 and the 750cc R71, and two ohv machines, the 500cc R51 and the top model, the 600cc R66. All engines are interchangeable and share the same transmission ratios, the final drive ratios can vary.
The 597cc engine with bore and stroke of 70×78 mm has a compression ratio of 5.7 : 1 and a power output of 18 HP @ 4800 rpm which gives a maximum speed of about 115 km/hour. Fuel tank capacity is 14 litres. Both wheels are quickly detachable and interchangeable. Between 1938 and 1941 some 13,000 R 61s are built. This R 61 combination would be an excellent choice for the enthusiast who likes to ride a pre-war machine with post war specifications and comfort. The graceful and well-built sidecar with tubular chassis is an Austrian-built Felber, “Sport-Kabriolet Standard”, made in Vienna.
The combination had been carefully restored, is in excellent condition and comes with comfortable “Denfeld” pillion seat.