BMW 1959 R26 245 cc OHV single Frame & Engine # 343183
Built to the same exemplary standards as the Bavarian company’s famous flat-twins, the single-cylinder BMW first appeared in pre-war days.
Indeed, BMW’s first new post-war model was a single-cylinder design – the 250cc R24 – which arrived in 1948.
By 1955, BMW’s quarter-litre luxury lightweight had evolved into the R26 that boasted a more powerful engine, Earles-type leading-link front fork and a larger fuel tank among numerous improvements.
Considerably more expensive than other 250s, the R26 was a relative rarity outside Germany, appealing to mature, discerning riders for whom quality of construction counted more than mere outright performance.
The engine had square bore x stroke dimensions of 68mm and delivered 15HP.
The R26 had a top speed of more than 125 km and was produced without major changes between 1955 and 1960, when it was succeeded by the R27.
The R26/27 series of shaft-drive single-cylinder touring machines were built to the same exacting standards as the twins.
Sharing many components with the twins made for long-term ease of use and an excellent spares availability.
This pleasant, high quality touring motorcycle is fitted with the comfortable Pagusa saddle and handlebar turn signals and is in tip- top condition.