BMW 1960 R26 245cc 1 cyl ohv 2906
BMW 1960 R26 245 cc OHV single Frame & Engine # 367566
Built to the same exemplary standards as the Bavarian company’s famous flat-twins, the single-cylinder BMW first appeared in pre-war days.
Indeed, BMW’s first new post-war model was a single-cylinder design – the 250cc R24 – which arrived in 1948.
By 1956, BMW’s quarter-litre luxury lightweight had evolved into the R26 that boasted a more powerful (15bhp) engine, Earles-type leading-link front fork and a larger fuel tank among numerous improvements.
Considerably more expensive than other 250s, the R26 was a relative rarity outside Germany, appealing to mature, discerning riders for whom quality of construction counted more than mere outright performance.
The R26 had a top speed of more than 125 km and some 30,000 were manufactured.
This machine was first registered on March 1st 1960 and is in fine restored shape.