BSA 1924 “ Model L” 349 cc ohv frame # D 17160 engine # L 921
The first ohv BSA is introduced early in 1924.
Its design is a spin-off from the Hotchkiss engine that powers the BSA light car.
It has been designed by Harold Briggs, a clever technician who has come to Small Heath from the Daimler Works at Coventry.
Bore and stroke measurements are 72x 85.5 mm, giving a capacity of 349 cc.
The hemispherical iron cylinder head is detachable and has heavy finning.
The valve gear is enclosed and automatically lubricated. A dome-topped aluminium piston with three rings is fitted as well as a roller big end. Lubrication is effected by gravity feed to mechanical pump, then to sight feed on timing case, feeding to crank case.
The sight feed system is used because many riders like to see for themselves that the lubrication system is doing what it should do.
Many makes use sight feeds and tell-tales till the early thirties, when “ invisible” lubrication finally becomes generally accepted.
For emergency use a hand pump is also fitted. The tank holds 1 ½ gallons of petrol and 3 ½ pints of oil.
The engine develops 13 HP and a top speed of 60 mph is attainable.
Petrol consumption amounts to 100 mpg and the weight is 220 lb.
This pleasant vintage OHV sports machine is the earliest known survivor; it was first registered 19Th July 1924 and it was supplied new by H.C. Cecil, a BSA dealer in Ledbury, Herefordshire.
Only one other 1924 Model L is listed in the VMCC Machine Register.
The petrol tank still has the original paint and this well sorted machine comes complete with Stewart speedometer and bulb horn.