BSA 1926 4 ¼ HP 557 cc “ H 26 ” frame # 1233 engine # M6681
BSA entered the motor cycle market with a sturdy 3 ½ HP belt driven single geared machine, that was displayed at the 1910 Olympia show.
It was constructed almost entirely from BSA- made components and was produced from the company’s Redditch factory.
Within six months from their launching, BSA’s were selling well.
The machines were easily distinguishable among rival makes by their yellow and green painted tanks. For 1914 there was a choice between the 85×88 3 ½ HP model and the 85×98 4 ¼ HP model.
Till the early twenties nothing much changed in the range, but after the introduction of the first BSA V twin in 1920 the company started to expand the range to cater for all sorts of customers.
The 1926 range consisted of 249, 349, 493 and 557 cc side valve singles, a sporty 349 cc OHV and the 770 and 986 cc twins.
The main shaft of the Model H engine runs on large ball bearings and there is a large capacity silencer fitted which gives a quiet exhaust note without loss of efficiency.
Lubrication is by gravity feed to mechanical pump, then to sight feed on tank and from there into the crankcase.
There is a hand pump for emergency use.
This strongly built 4 ¼ HP model is an older restoration.
Accessories include Powell and Hanmer acetylene lighting set, bulb horn, vintage leather pannier bag, steering damper and comfortable pillion seat.