BSA 1930 “S30-18 Light” 493cc side valve single frame # XL 1076 engine # XU 816
In the second part of the nineteen twenties the motorcycle market was growing fast in Britain. But rivalry between the factories was intense and the profits were modest. The whole industry was fighting a price-cutting war that had been started by the incredibly cheap model P Triumph that cost just under 43 pounds when brought out in 1925. But BSA stood firmly in the market and brought out an extensive range. Next to the successful “Sloper” types the BSA range also held some models for the riders that preferred an upright engine in side valve configuration. This sturdy model is built along traditional lines and has bore x stroke dimensions of 80 x 98 mm. Lubrication is effected via gravity feed to a mechanical pump which first forces the oil through a sight feed on the timing case, so the rider can be assured the oil is actually flowing. From the sight feed the oil goes straight to the big end bearing. For heavy work there’s still a hand pump on board that discharges the oil straight into the crank case. The primary chain is protected by a solid cast aluminium two-part case.
The catalogue says: ”The 4.93 hp Light model meets the need of riders who prefer the simplicity of the side valve engine. Its performance satisfies the need for reasonable speed and hard pulling combined with remarkable economy. It is comfortable and easily handled when ridden solo, whilst it has ample power to maintain good touring speeds with a moderate sidecar load. It has the further advantage that very little attention is required to maintain its performance.”
The machine we present was originally sold in Denmark, as witnessed by a dealer plate from the town of Hilleröd. She is an older restoration that is fitted with a Bosch magdyno and Lucas lamps, but wiring and battery with case are not fitted. She’s a runner and comes with Dutch road registration.