BSA 1930 4.93 HP S 30 –7 “Sloper” 493cc side valve single frame # XH9010 engine # XS2758
Presented in august 1926 for the 1927 season, the Sloper set the BSA company on the road to market domination and success.
It was brilliant designer Harold Briggs, brought in from the Daimler car company, who designed the machine around a sporty and reliable 493cc ohv (80x98mm) engine which inclined forward in the frame. Some typical car practice features Briggs used in his design were sump lubrication (the crankcase was extended to form an oil reservoir holding about 1½ litres) and return springs within the pushrod tubes to keep the valve gear in constant touch with the cam profiles, giving exceptionally quiet operation.
The Sloper soon got a reputation as a sporting but quiet motorcycle, a real trendsetter. Apart from the OHV models several side valve Slopers were marketed, ranging from 493cc to 595 cc capacity.
A new feature for 1930 was the forged steel backbone.
That model year the Birmingham firm offered no fewer than 18 models, six of which had inclined engines.
The Sloper range was catalogued up to and including 1935, by which time the line-up had shrunk to just two models: one overhead-valve, the other side valve, both of 595cc capacity.
This matured restoration is fitted with Lucas electrics, Bosch horn and front lamp mounted rear view mirror and comes with current Dutch registration.