C.P. Roléo 1930ca C5 Sport 350cc 1 cyl OHV 3401

SOLD

Description

C.P. Roléo 1930ca C5 Sport 350 cc OHV two-port

The C.P. saw the light of day in 1925 and was the brainchild of the associates Couégnas & Piault who conducted their business in the community of Gennevilliers, a nortwestern suburb of Paris. The C.P. had a very unusual frame construction: a 2.5 mm thick sheet steel box included the tank (12 or 14 litres depending on the model) in which the steering column was integrated. The structure extended from there in a direct line to the rear wheel axis. Brackets, also in pressed metal, supported the engine and others reinforce the rear of the frame. The Druid-style fork was also of stamped metal, with U-shaped elements. At first the C.P. was equipped with two stoke engines and was very successful in endurance races such as the Bol d’Or. In 1926 rider Renard won the 24-hour Bol d’Or on a C.P. with a 350 cc twin two stroke Harissard engine. He covered 1459 km with an average speed of 61 km/h. By the end of 1926 a the production rights were sold to the company of Léon Rollet, a well-known firm that imported British parts and accessories. Rollet thought a motorcycle make of his own would be a nice addition that could be marketed through his network. So in 1927 the C.P. Roléo was born, the addition being inspired by Rollet and Léon. The firm moved to 64, rue de la Folie Méricourt in Paris 11. From 1928 till the end of production in 1932 various models were offered, but sales were on a modest scale and prices were relatively high, so not many machines have survived.

This  restored example is the sports model with 71 x 88 mm two-port LMP engine with external flywheel. The LMP firm ((Lalo, Mignonac & Poinsard) was located at the Rue de la Pointe in the village of Romainville, an eastern suburb of Paris. This company was, after Chaise, the second large producer of proprietary two stroke and four stroke motorcycle engines in France. The gearbox is a three-speed Staub and the electrics are Magneto France. There’s an external Gurtner Miko oil pump on board and a Amac carburettor. The brochure stated a top speed of 120 km and a weight of 110 kg.