Calthorpe 1936 500 cc OHV ‘ Ivory Calthorpe M 4 ” frame# A 3 1862 engine# M 4 / 1447
Until 1928, the Calthorpe factory of Barn Street, Birmingham, had many ups and downs and often had to struggle to survive.
But in 1928 success came with a new 350cc OHV machine with good handling, road holding and steering, that was finished in a highly distinctive ivory colour and was competitively priced.
The 1928 machine had an upright engine, but from 1930 on the engines were sloping, giving them an even more sporty look.
In the early thirties the model range was widened to three classes,250, 350 and 500 cc.
Production of the Ivory models went on till 1939, when the Calthorpe company went out of business.
This good-looking and well fettled machine is equipped with a Burman four speed gearbox.
It’s an older restoration an running well.