Clément 1904 “Type D” 192 cc aiv engine # 3944
In 1902 Adolphe Clément enters the field of motorized bicycles with a small engine of 125 cc capacity. This engine has an automatic inlet valve, an overhead exhaust valve and an external flywheel.
The cylindrical tank with petrol is fixed behind the saddle and the batteries for the coil ignition are stored in a leather case that is strapped to the horizontal frame tube.
The oil is carried in a drip feed oiler which leads the oil straight into the crankcase by adjustable drip-feed.
This small machine became very popular and quite a few were sold as complete machines fixed to a Clément bicycle as in this case, or a Gladiator bicycle.
You could also order an engine with fittings and bolt this to any bicycle.
In Britain the Clément-Garrard was well known at the time.
This “Type D” has a somewhat bigger capacity than the first model of 1902: the earlier models had bore x stroke of 55×53 mm, the “D” features 60x 50 mm giving a capacity of 192 cc.
Despite their modest capacity these little engines are surprisingly lively.
The rear brake is activated by pedalling backwards.
This 1904 Clement is fitted with a Vaurs carburettor and is a well-presented archetype of the French motorcycle industry.
She has been sympathetically reconditioned without disturbing the original patina.