Clyno 1912 5/6 HP 744 cc V- twin combination frame # 2825 engine # 2825
The Clyno Engineering Company entered the motorcycle market at the 1909 Stanley Show: exhibited then were a 3 HP single and a 744 cc 5/6 HP V-twin, both powered by proprietary engines made by the Stevens Motor Manufacturing Company.
The limitation of a single fixed gear and belt drive were apparent in 1910, and with the increased manufacturing facilities at Wolverhampton – Clyno had bought the old Stevens factory- a two speed, chain driven machine was evolved and it is thought to be the first to enclose chains in pressed aluminium cases.
It was this machine that Frank Smith drove so successfully in all the important trials in 1911, he also embarked on a programme of attacking hitherto unclimbed and what were considered unclimbable hills, all with the 5/6h.p. chain driven motorcycle and sidecar.
The question of a suitable sidecar frame was given careful attention: hitherto sidecar frames were very light flimsy affairs, generally clipped to the motorcycle frame in three places.
They were quite unsuited to strenuous trials and other use.
The Clyno engineers designed a very robust sidecar frame: it was attached to the machine in four places by taper plugs secured into appropriate sockets that were solidly brazed to the motorcycle frame.
This design was a great success and remained virtually unaltered for many years. No wonder that the authorities chose Clyno combinations as the favourite machinegun carriers in World War One.
The success of the 1911 trials policy had its effect in 1912 which was a very busy year, orders in excess of the manufacturing capacity being received.
During this year the Clyno Motor Cycle Detachable and Interchangeable wheel was introduced and fitted, this invention first fitted to Clyno Machines, was one of the most important developments in motorcycling history.
More interesting Clyno information can be found on: http://www.localhistory.scit.wlv.ac.uk/Museum/Transport/Motorcycles/Clyno.htm