Douglas 1914 2¾ HP Model W 347cc 2 cyl sv 3310



Douglas 1914 2¾ HP “Model W“ 347 cc side valve flat twin frame # 16602 engine # 17036
The brothers William and Edward Douglas founded the Douglas Engineering Company in Bristol in 1882. Initially doing blacksmith work, they progressed to foundry work and then acquired the flat twin design of Joseph Barter, the founder of Light Motors Ltd.. Barter had produced his first single-cylinder motorcycle between 1902 and 1904. Around 1905, Barter’s Light Motors Ltd manufactured a 200cc side valve flat twin clipped into a more or less standard bicycle frame. This machine was marketed under the ‘Fairy’ name. Some parts of the engine were cast at the Douglas Brothers foundry in Bristol. When Barter’s Light Motors went into liquidation in 1907, he was invited to join Douglas and a new and improved machine, the Model A, was presented to the public at the Stanley Show in 1907. Years later William Douglas disclosed that not a single order resulted from the show; of 27 machines built during the year only 24 sold. But the design was improved year after year and by 1910 the Douglas had become a practical motorcycle. The catalogue for 1912 listed no less than 15 improvements such as mechanical inlet valves and a lower riding position. By 1914 the company thought their machine was neigh perfect, for in the 1914 catalogue it was stated (…)” The 2 ¾ machine is probably as perfect as it is possible to make a motor bicycle (…) One very real improvement has, however, been effected: the important frame tubes are three gauges heavier than in 1913. “ The catalogue did mention 5 detail improvements though: a more perfect type of mudguard over the back wheel, a belt guard, metal cased toolboxes, weather protection for the high tension terminals and bolted instead of brazed lamp bracket. Five models were available, Model T had a countershaft and singe gear, U and V had a two speed gear, W even had a free engine clutch and X was an open frame or ladies’ model.
This charming top-of-the range Model W with two speeds, clutch and kick starter has been impeccably restored and comes with Lucas No. 454 “King’s Own” headlamp, generator and No. 344 Lucas rear lamp.