Douglas 1915 2 ¾ HP “ Ladies’ Model” 2 speed Model X frame# 21334 engine # 25517
“So successful have our productions been during 1914, covering themselves with glory in the hands of the Naval and Military Authorities at the front and coming through such events as the English six days and the Australian Grand Prix with flying colours, that we have found it unnecessary to make drastic alterations for this season.
We have however, endeavoured to refine our machines greatly in detail, and we now submit them to our clients only after the most severe testing, and in many cases in open competition under the public eye.
“ That’s what the 1915 catalogue tells us, and just compare this prose with the language of modern day motorcycle sales brochures…
Some of the refinements were: a new tubular carrier, heavier rims with 11 gauge spokes, a new foot brake, refined mudguarding and a brazed-on lug for the rear stand that replaced the bushed hole in the rear fork end of the earlier models.
The 1915 2 ¾ range comprised 6 models: the two or three speed Model V without clutch, the two or three speed touring Model U without clutch, the 3 speed Model W with clutch and kick-starter and the ladies’ Model X , also fitted with 3 speed gearbox with clutch and kick starter. The open frame model was first catalogued in 1911 as Model F and was intended “ for either ladies’ or gentlemen’s use”.
In 1912 it was designated Model L and from 1913 on it was Model X, catalogued up to and including 1919.
Douglas Ladies’ models are very scarce and much sought after; this machine is an older restoration and it is fitted with acetylene lighting set and bulb horn.