Douglas 1922 2 ¾ HP Model WD 22 349 cc SV flat twin frame # 54634 engine # 53191
This Bristol-based firm developed the horizontally opposed fore-aft unit in about 1907 and continued utilizing this engine layout well into the thirties.
The earliest Douglas models had direct belt drive, but in 1910 a two-speed gearbox was added, with the control on top of the petrol tank. Douglas machines became very popular because of their lightness, ease of starting and speed: in the 1912 Junior TT races Douglas took first, second and fourth places.
In the First World War thousands of 2 ¾ HP machines were commissioned for use by despatch riders and performed splendidly.
By 1920, the standard 2 ¾ model W had a three speed countershaft gearbox with kick-starter, a clutch and footboards.
The WD had the basic “veteran” specification of two speed gearbox and did not have the luxury of a clutch.
Lubrication is by means of hand pump with drip feed regulator.
The petrol tank holds 5 ½ litres, the oil compartment 1 ½ litres.
Petrol consumption: about 1 litre per 30 kilometres.
This light but agile vintage twin has been nicely restored an will be a pleasure to ride or show!