Douglas 1925 2 ¾ HP “CW” 349 cc side valve twin frame # F 2862 engine# 79584
This Bristol-based firm developed the horizontally opposed fore-aft unit in about 1907 and continued utilizing this engine layout well into the thirties.
The earliest Douglas models had direct belt drive, but in 1910 a two-speed gearbox was added, with the control on top of the petrol tank.
Douglas machines became very popular because of their lightness, ease of starting and speed: in the 1912 Junior TT races Douglas took first, second and fourth places.
In the First World War thousands of 2 ¾ HP machines were commissioned for use by despatch riders and performed splendidly.
In the early twenties year by year small improvements were made and many Douglas machines were sold each year.
In a publicity booklet announcing the 1924 models the company claimed that “well over 75,000 Douglas 2 ¾ machines are giving satisfaction every day to their owners.”
It would be two more years before a real design change was carried through by then Chief designer Cyril Pullin in the form of the new EW model.
From the early twenties the belt drive was losing ground step by step: first the sports models got all chain drive and from 1923 on the faithful 2 ¾ HP was available with either belt or chain drive. By the end of 1926 all Douglas machines would be chain driven.
We believe the nickel plating on this machine is original, the paintwork has been redone a long time ago so this CW has a very attractive patina.
Accessories are Lucas headlamp No. 331, rear light No. 344 and Powell & Hanmer bulb horn.