Douglas 1932 “E32 Standard Side Valve” 596cc side valve flat twin frame # YF327 engine # EQ646
It is at the 1929 Olympia Show that the new S5 (500cc) and S6 (600cc) models make their appearance. Designed by Freddy Dixon, these are undoubtedly the most silent and flexible motorcycles available at this time. The whole design concept is bristling with new ideas, even to the extent of following car design in certain aspects. Who else can virtually guarantee a minimum of two years’ service without need for replacements? These are the “Dixon Douglas” models, with which his name will forever be linked. For the first time a dry sump lubrication system is employed, without recourse to any external pipes. Very long valve guides are fitted to the cylinder barrels and the cylinder heads are detachable, above the valve seatings. Very long tappet guides are also used and all the valve gear is completely enclosed behind finned tappet covers. The induction system is cast-in with the timing cover to ensure the necessary warmth after a cold start. A B.T.H. “pancake” dynamo, mounted immediately above the induction system, operates the lighting circuit. The dynamo is driven by gearing from the crankshaft and is specially made for the Douglas range. The 600 cc model has bore and stroke dimensions of 68x82mm. (source: Jeff Clew, “The best Twin”).
For the 1931 and 1932 model years the S 5 and S 6 are improved in a number of details and get other model codes. The 600cc side valves for 1932 are designated D32 and E32; the D32 is the sports model and differs from the E32 in only a few respects: it has a single spring front fork, no carrier and footrests instead of footboards.
This sturdy touring Douglas comes with side and centre stands, complete BTH electric lighting system, Smiths 60mph speedo and spare inner tube holder. She is an older restoration in good condition albeit with some aging spots on the petrol tank chromium. A notable feature are the double claxons. She has a current Dutch registration.