Ducati-Mototrans 1963 “250 De Luxe” 249 cc OHC single frame # 88414 engine # 88212
In 1926 an Italian named Antonio Cavalieri Ducati and his three sons founded a company in the name of Società Scientifica Radio Brevetti Ducati in Bologna to produce vacuum tubes, condensers and other radio components. The family built Ducati into a reasonably successful business. Heading into the second world war, the company maintained production despite the factory being a repeated target of allied bombing. The first Ducati motorcycle was a 48 cc bike weighing 44 kg, with a top speed of 64 km/h. In the 1950s Ducati was split into two entities, Ducati Meccanica SpA and Ducati Elettronica, in acknowledgment of its diverging motorcycle and electronics product lines.
Following on from the success of the prototype racing 250 F3, a 250 cc street bike was presented at the Milan Fair in April 1961. This new motorcycle would form the basis of the ohc production range until the wide case single of 1968 and was available in two versions, the touring Monza and more sporting Diana. This particular machine was built under licence in Spain by Mototrans in Barcelona. This factory produced Ducati motorcycles which differed in detail from the Italian machines; for instance the use of Spanish-made Amal carburettors, a different right-side engine cover and some engine and gearbox internals.
This 250 Ducati OHC is a fast and light machine with a power output of around 25 HP and a dry weight of approx. 125 kg. She is freshly restored and was bought in boxes but was largely complete. A meticulous restoration process of about three years resulted in this as-new machine. She comes complete with the original Spanish Amal carb (a new British Amal is currently fitted), photostat parts list, a set of photos of the restoration process and a current Dutch registration.