Excelsior 1912 499 cc AIV belt drive single engine and frame #17190
The Excelsior Supply Company of Chicago started producing motorcycles with its own single cylinder engine in 1908.
Some years later the firm became part of Ignaz Schwinn’s bicycle empire.In the years around 1915 the production models ranged from a 269 cc two stroke single Baby Triumph look-alike to big 1000 cc V-twins.
This early single is in remarkable good original condition for its age. It is fitted with Schebler carburettor, automatic inlet valve and Bosch magneto ignition.
The engine power is transmitted to the rear wheel by a flat leather belt.