Excelsior 1913 4 ½ HP 650 cc side valve single engine # 4096
The Coventry firm of Bayliss, Thomas & Co. was established in 1874 so its roots dated from the solid-tyre bicycle era.
Early manufacturers in both the motorcycle and the car fields, they were an established firm well before the Great War.
For model year 1914 three types were available, all sturdy built singles in 499cc, 650 cc and 810 cc capacities.
The 810 cc single with bore x stroke of 96 x 112 mm was the biggest available single cylinder model of its time.( And perhaps of all times?)
This model was meant for sidecar work.
The 4 ½ HP model on offer here has bore x stroke of 86 x 112 mm and was marketed as a dual purpose machine.
The machine has quality fittings such as Brampton Biflex forks, Binks carburettor, Bosch magneto, XL-All saddle and 2-speed gearbox.
Note the typical lubrication system: oil is led to a lug cast between the valves, from where a hole is drilled into the cylinder on a level with the gudgeon pin when at the bottom of its stroke.
Thus the oil reaches the small end bearing through the hollow gudgeon pin.
The lug is also drilled down to the crankshaft bearing, from which it is led by ducts to all the main bearings.
This practical veteran has been restored some time ago and comes complete with acetylene lighting system and bulb horn.