FN 1911 “ Légère ” 247cc side valve frame # 32303 engine # 78
The first FN single with shaft drive came on the market in 1909. It was quite an innovative little machine with bore and stroke dimensions of 65x75mm giving a capacity of 247cc. The specifications included a multiple plate clutch and a two speed gearbox. Weight of the machine was 65kgs and the fuel consumption was less than 3 litres per 100 kms. This light single became a popular seller next to the FN four cylinder model. In 1912 the capacity was enlarged to 285cc and the frame was changed, resulting in a longer and lower machine. In 1913 the pedaling chain was discarded and a kick-starter was added. When production was resumed after the war the side –by- side valve concept was changed to inlet-over exhaust. Production ended in 1923. New for the 1911 model year was a different type of carburettor.
This technically interesting and easy to ride veteran lightweight presents itself in largely original, authentic and running condition. Gears, bolts, nuts and screw heads give the impression that the machine hasn’t seen much tinkering.