FN 1914 “285 Légère” 285cc side valve single frame # 45451
The first FN single with shaft drive came on the market at the end of 1909. It was quite an innovative little machine with bore and stroke dimensions of 65×75 mm giving a capacity of 247cc.
The specifications included a multiple plate clutch, a two speed gearbox and shaft drive. Weight of the machine was 65kg and the fuel consumption was less than 3 litres per 100km.
This light single became a popular seller next to the FN four cylinder model.
In 1912 the capacity was enlarged to 285cc and the frame was redesigned, resulting in a longer and lower machine.
In 1913 the pedaling chain was discarded and a kick-starter was added.
When production was resumed after the war the saddle position was lowered and the side –by-side valve concept was changed to inlet-over-exhaust.
Production ended in 1923. This technically interesting veteran lightweight has clutch and gears and is easy to ride.
An interesting detail is the original Middlemore and Lamplugh saddle which is in excellent condition.
With the machine comes an interesting original document proving that it was first registered on July, 7 1914 with the police authorities in the Danish town of Frederiksberg, near Copenhagen.
This 285 Légère has been restored and is currently registered for the road.