FN 1920 “285 T” 285 cc side valve frame # 60056 engine # 35
The first FN single with shaft drive came on the market at the end of 1909. It was quite an innovative little machine with bore and stroke dimensions of 65×75 mm giving a capacity of 247 cc. The specifications included a multiple plate clutch and a two speed gearbox. Weight of the machine was 65 kg and the fuel consumption was less than 3 litres per 100 km. This light single became a popular seller next to the FN four cylinder model. In 1912 the capacity was enlarged to 285 cc by enlarging the stroke to 85 mm and the frame was changed, resulting in a longer and lower machine. In 1913 a kick starter was added. When production was resumed after the war the company had to start from scratch because the retreating German army had robbed the factory from its machines and equipment. The early postwar models were often fitted with older parts because of the shortage of materials. Towards the end of 1920 the frame top tube was lowered to get a lower saddle position and in the course of 1922 the 285 TT was brought out and the side -by- side valve concept was changed to inlet-over- exhaust. 285T and 285TT production was phased out in 1923, when it was superseded by the 348 cc ohv M60.
This machine can best be described as a barn find. She comes with Bosch magneto, Brown saddle and acetylene front lamp plus generator.