Harley davidson 1930 “V” 1208 cc side valve V-twin frame#301651 engine# 30V8795C
In 1930 the Model “V” came on the market to replace the F-head models J and JD.
Despite the factory’s enthusiasm, the model V was far from an instant success.
More massively built and heavier than its predecessor, the V lacked top-end power to such an extent that the first examples were recalled for an extensive engine redesign. A larger crankcase accommodating heavier flywheels did the trick and, its problems solved, the 74ci 'flat head' went on to win the hearts of Harley enthusiasts everywhere.
The model “V” was a medium compression model, the “VL” was its high-compression brother, designed for sidecar and package truck use.
The Big Twin produced some 30 HP and it was the top of the line for Harley-Davidson customers in the 30s.
In 1936 the VL was replaced by a heavier model, the 80 cu inch (1340 cc) VLH.
That machine produced 34 HP and weighed 247 kg. The 1930 model year was the only year in which the dual bullet headlights were used on the Big Twins. Another one-year feature was the two-tube muffler. Almost 10,000 Big Twins were produced in 1930; the heavy model was more popular than the new 750 cc model D, of which some 5,500 were produced.
This machine has spend a large part of its life in Britain and was first registered in Bristol in April 1930.
The machine has been restored a number of years ago.