Harley-Davidson 1938 model WLA 750 cc side valve V-twin frame# 8005 engine#42WLC 16161
The company introduced the side valve concept for the V-twins for the 1929 model year when the 45 ci model D was introduced.
A year later the F head big twin was replaced by the side valve 74 ci model V.
During the thirties the 1200 cc models were generally better sold than the 750 cc machines: the latter did better in the export markets.
To give some idea of the popularity of the various HD types in 1938: the 750 cc models found less than 1,500 buyers, the OHV model some 2,500 and of the 1200cc and 1300 cc “ U” models some 3,500 machines were produced.
Some new features for the 1938 model WL were: oil and generator indicator warning lights in the tank-mounted dash, improvements in the clutch controls and big-twin style clutch pedal and footboards.
This machine is an older restoration.