Harley-Davidson 1942 “WLC” 750cc side valve V-twin frame & engine # 42WLC 2355
Harley-Davidson began producing the WLA in small numbers in 1940, as part of a general military expansion.
The later entry of the United States into World War II saw significantly increased production, with over 90,000 being produced during the war (along with spare parts the equivalent of many more). Harley Davidson would also produce a close WLA variant, as shown here, for the Canadian Army. called the WLC.
Production of the WLA/WLC would cease after the war, but would be revived for the Korean War during the years 1949 to 1952.
Most WLAs/WLCs in western hands after the war would be sold as surplus and “civilianized”; the many motorcycles available at very low cost would lead to the rise of the chopper and other modified motorcycle styles, as well as the surrounding biker culture.
The US Army would use motorcycles for police and escort work, courier duties, and some scouting, as well as limited use to transport radio and radio suppression equipment. Allied motorcycles were almost never used as combat vehicles or for troop mobility, and so were rarely equipped with sidecars as was common on the German side.
Nevertheless, the WLA/WLC acquired the nickname “Liberator”, since it was seen ridden by soldiers liberating occupied Europe.
The WLC we present here has been civilianized and restored a number of years ago.
It comes with 16 x 5.00 tyres, 12 volt conversion with new battery, new chrome crash bars and new luggage rack.
The foot clutch has been refurbished and engine and gearbox function well.
The machine comes with substantial and practical studded leather bags, new pan saddle and current registration.