Harley Davidson 1947 Servicar 750cc 2 cyl sv Engine # 47G4060
The Harley-Davidson Servi-Car was designed during the early 1930`s when Harley-Davidson was desperate to expand its product base to increase sales.
Targeted at the automotive service industry, the vehicle was designed to be towed behind a car to be delivered to a customer when the car was delivered at its destination, the driver would unhitch the Servi-Car and ride back to the garage. For this reason, it was available with a tow bar at the front.In addition to its intended use for car delivery and retrieval, the Servi-Car was also popular as a utility vehicle for small businesses and mobile vendors.
They proved to be particularly popular with the police departments, some of which still used Servi-Cars into the 1990s.
This 1947 model, has the large steel box , which lasted until 1966.
After 1966 the box was made of fiber-glass.
The Servi-Car used variations of Harley-Davidson’s 45 cubic inch flathead.
From 1932 to 36, the Servi-Car used the engine from the Solo R Model.
It was changed in 1937 to the engine used in the W model, which differed mainly in having a recirculating oil system instead of the constant-loss system of the “R”.
The “W” flathead engine continued until the end of production in 1973, despite the “W” solo series being replaced by the “K”Series in 1952.
When the Servi-Car was introduced in 1932, it used the same transmission as the R solo model. This was replaced the next year by a constant-mesh transmission with three speeds and a reverse gear.
In 1937, the braking system was upgraded to have a drum brake on each wheel.
This 1947 Harley-Davidson servicar is in good restored and original condition