Henderson 1919/1920 “K” 1301 cc four cylinder side valve frame & engine # 2Z4261
One of the most charismatic names in American motorcycling history, Henderson produced nothing but four-cylinder motorcycles in the course of its 20-year existence. The company was founded by Tom and William Henderson in Detroit in 1911 and with the phrase “a new one from Detroit” the Henderson factory introduced its first production model in November 1911. To underline its qualities Carl Stevens Clancy made a journey around the world with a Henderson four, covering a distance of 18,000 miles. The firm passed into the control of Chicago-based cycle maker Ignaz Schwinn, owner of Excelsior, in November 1917. Following his takeover, Schwinn shifted production from Detroit to the Excelsior factory in Chicago and the Hendersons soon moved on. Tom left the industry but William went on to found the Ace motorcycle company – later taken over by Indian – and thereby had a hand in the design of all the major American-built fours. Schwinn soon abandoned the Hendersons’ original design, which was replaced by one drawn up by Henderson engineer Arthur O Lemon. Introduced for 1920, the all-new Excelsior-built Henderson Model K boasted a 1,301cc side valve engine equipped with forced lubrication, a twin-downtube frame, strengthened front fork and enclosed rear chain. In an emphatic demonstration of the new Henderson Four’s capabilities, Wells Bennett set a new world record on a stock example on 31st May 1922, averaging 65.1 mph for 24 hours, a mark that would remain unsurpassed for the next 15 years. The “K” remained in production for about three years and would be succeeded by the “De Luxe”, that would bring even more fame to the make.
This impressive all-electric road-registered four has been very well restored and comes with Corbin speedometer.