1917 Indian Powerplus 61”
The Indian Powerplus engine was a design of Charles Gustafson, who had already earned fame as an engine designer at the Reading Standard company before he was approached by the Indian management.
His task was to design a powerful, robust, single, reliable and production friendly engine to replace the old F-head V-twin-design of Oscar Hedstrom.
The resulting 61” Powerplus introduced in 1916 was an immediate success and is still one of the most coveted American vintage motorcycles.
The model on offer was produced in 1917; it has the then introduced two-piece petrol tank. The 1917 was also the last year of the rod-control, from 1918 Bowden-type cables were employed.
The machine still has its original olive-green finish, pointing to its army-anastry.