Indian 1920 Scout 596cc 2 cyl sv 2906
Indian 1920 “G 20” Scout 596 cc side valve V-twin frame # AG2506 engine # 51 R 182
After WW I the Indian factory decided it was time to market a somewhat lighter model than the 1000cc Powerplus.
The new model, designated “Scout”, was designed by Charles Franklin and it created a sensation when brought out at the end of 1919.
The strong points of the new design were easy handling, lightness, ample power for the 1920s roads and unbeatable reliability.
The engine was essentially a scaled-down version of the well-proven PowerPlus that had also been designed by Franklin.
The engine had a modest cubic capacity but the 11 HP power output was relatively high because of the large valves that were used.
The new middleweight was also appealing to the prospective motorcyclists who were put off by the usual heavyweight big twins.
The Scout features a semi-unit construction power plant with a 3 –speed transmission bolted on to it.
Primary drive is by a set of helical gears that are enclosed in a cast aluminium cover and run in an oil bath.
The clutch is foot-controlled.
Bore and stroke are 70×78 mm. The oil tank holds about 3 litres, the petrol tank 11.
Top speed is approx 85 km/ hour. Stopping power is provided by two brakes working on the rear wheel, an internal expanding one inside the rear drum and a contracting band brake that works on the outside of the drum.
The specimen we offer here was sold new in The Netherlands by agent Van Herwerden in Voorburg, close to The Hague.
It’s a well-preserved vintage machine that was restored in the 1970s.
For a number of years it was used regularly in Dutch vintage motorcycle runs but it has been in dry storage for some time now.
Accessories include American “Twentieth Century” acetylene lighting system, Stewart speedometer, Parsons sprung seat saddle, “The Gloria Phone” hand horn and low slung sports handlebars. This first-year Scout is in good condition throughout.