Indian Scout 1920 596 cc side valve V-twin frame # 58 engine # 55 R 026
After WW I the Indian factory decided it was time to market a somewhat lighter model than the 1000cc Powerplus.
The new model, designated “Scout”, was designed by Charles Franklin and it created a sensation when brought out at the end of 1919.
The strong points of the new design were easy handling, lightness, ample power for the 1920s roads and unbeatable reliability.
The engine was essentially a scaled-down version of the well-proven PowerPlus that had also been designed by Franklin.
The engine had a modest cubic capacity but the 11 HP power output was relatively high because of the large valves that were used.
The new middleweight was also appealing to the prospective motorcyclists who were put off by the usual heavyweight big twins.
The Scout features a semi-unit construction power plant with a 3 –speed transmission bolted on to it. Primary drive is by a set of helical gears that are enclosed in a cast aluminium cover and run in an oil bath. The clutch is foot-controlled.
Bore and stroke are 70×78 mm.
The oil tank holds about 3 litres, the petrol tank 11. Top speed is approx 85 km/ hour.
Stopping power is provided by two brakes working on the rear wheel, an internal expanding one inside the rear drum and a contracting band brake that works on the outside of the drum.
The specimen we offer here is in outstanding authentic condition.
It was purchased some 35 years ago from the son of the first owner, a gentlemen in the South of The Netherlands.
The paintwork has become a bit dull and powdery but the original lining is still visible in a number of places.
The machine was used regularly for vintage motorcycle rallies and the former owner, who lives close to Amsterdam, sometimes rode the Scout in the centre of the city for shopping to the amazement of bystanders.
The machine has not been used for about ten years but has been dry stored.
Accessories include electric lighting, Corbin speedometer, rear view mirror and search light.
The little Bosch tin on top of the battery box contains a set of spare bulbs.