Indian 1923 ca. Model GE “Scout” 596 cc side valve V-twin engine # 52 F 228
The engine of Franklin’s new-for-1920 Scout was essentially a scaled-down version of the well-proven PowerPlus that had also been designed by Franklin.
The engine had a modest cubic capacity but the 11 HP power output was relatively high because of the large valves that were used.
The new middleweight was also appealing to the prospective motorcyclists who were put off by the usual heavyweight big twins.
The Scout features a semi-unit construction power plant with a 3 –speed transmission bolted on to it.
Primary drive is by a set of helical gears that are enclosed in a cast aluminium cover and run in an oil bath.
The clutch is foot-controlled.
Bore and stroke are 70×78 mm.
The oil tank holds about 3 litres, the petrol tank 11.
Top speed is approx 85 km/ hour.
Stopping power is provided by two brakes working on the rear wheel, an internal expanding one inside the rear drum and a contracting band brake that works on the outside of the drum.
Indian managed to reduce the price of the Scout considerably in 1922 and 1923.
The 1921 Scout, electrically equipped, cost $400.
In two consecutive years the price went to $315 and $250.
The specimen we offer has been restored a number of years ago and has been displayed in a private collection since then.
It is electrically equipped with ammeter and has a hand push horn.