Indian 1938 model 438 1265 cc inline Four combination frame # 438117 engine # DCH 117
price on application
Early in 1927 Indian bought the entire assets of the famous ACE motorcycle corporation.
Indian proceeded to manufacture the Indian – ACE until 1928 when the Indian Four took its place. The 1265 cc engine has overhead inlet valves and side exhaust valves and delivered in the late twenties form around 30 HP.
About ten years later this had grown to about 40 HP and tuned examples were known to put out some 50 HP! But with output also the weight grew: a 1929 4 would weigh about 455 lb, a 1941 model weighs 568 lb.
For the model year 1938 a new engine was presented.
The cylinders were cast in pairs, the heads were made of aluminum instead of cast iron and they were removable.
The cooling fin area was greatly increased and a newly designed inlet manifold gave extra power.
The valve mechanism was fully enclosed and automatically lubricated.
This new engine could be run at a consistent speed of 100 mph, yet could be throttled down to walking speed in top gear.
The styling of the 1938 models was also highly improved by the fitting of a tank-top instrument panel.
This, together with the graceful mudguards and wide range of colour choices made the 1938 Four the most handsome Indian Four model in its 11- year history.
The combination we present here was in the collection of one very careful owner for the last 37 years.
He rode the combination on many occasions including twenty times the well known Belgian/French rally “Liege-Nancy-Liege” a total distance of c. 575 km (360 miles).
The machine itself is in an outstanding mechanical condition and we never heard a machine run that smooth.
The engine is enduring, very powerful and very docile and has a very good constant oil pressure. She has the optional magneto ignition, which makes her independent of the battery’s condition. The electrics have been converted to 12 volts with halogen lights for better visibility as she was used for night driving too.
Two additional period fog/search lights are completing the handlebars.
A practical leather saddle bag is mounted to the luggage rack.
The “Princess” sidecar with coupled wheel brake is of very handsome design with luggage compartment in the back and a side door for easy access.
The beautiful streamlined mudguard does match the mudguards of the motorcycle and the leather upholstery gives a comfortable ride.
We believe this sidecar was part of the machine from new.
This impressive combination is still highly presentable despite having been restored cosmetically at least 37 years ago.
We strongly believe the fuel tank still bears the original first paint.