Magnat-Debon 1914 3¼ HP 398 cc OHV single frame and engine # 2254
In the year 1900 Joseph Magnat and Louis Debon founded a firm in Grenoble that started to produce bicycles.
In 1902 the first motorcycle was produced, equipped with a De Dion Bouton engine.
Soon they started to use their own engines and in the years before the first world war the firm prospered: the machines had many novel features such as telescopic front suspension and some models had overhead valves.
Both founders died at the end of the war and in the early twenties the company got into financial problems.
In 1922 M-D was taken over by Terrot.
For 1913 the company had abandoned the side valve models and concentrated on two OHV machines.
The 3¼ HP model had bore x stroke of 75 x 90 mm and a displacement of 398 cc, its more powerful 4HP brother measured 80 x99 mm and displaced 498 cc.
For model year 1914 the place of the 4HP single was taken by a beautiful V-twin OHV model.
The 3¼ was updated with a longer frame, bigger petrol tank and more graceful handlebars.
Our 3 ¼ HP is equipped with a reliable Bosch magneto and the company’s own aluminium carburettor.
It’s got a comfortable “Moto Meilleur” saddle and practical belt tensioner.
The machine has been restored a number of years ago but has not been touched for a long time.
Consequently she will benefit from some tender love & care.
Veteran OHV machines are rare and the light weight -less than 60kg- of this quality French machine makes it a pleasantly rideable and manoeuvrable mount.