Martinsyde 1922 6 HP “ Series D” 678 cc exhaust-over-inlet V-twin frame # 22 1492 engine # E 22 1079
The British firm of Martinsyde was founded in 1908 when Helmuth Paul Martin and George Harris Handasyde went into partnership to build aircraft.
By the end of WWI Martinsyde was Britain’s third largest aircraft manufacturer, occupying sites at Brooklands and Woking. Faced with a sharp downturn in demand for its products, the firm turned to motorcycle production at the war’s end, having acquired the rights to an exhaust-over-inlet engine, designed by Howard Newman, and an AJS gearbox.
Problems caused by unsatisfactory frame components having been overcome, Martinsyde motorcycle production got properly underway in 1919.
The company’s first machines, powered by Newman’s 678 cc 50 degree V-twin engine, were marketed as Martinsyde-Newman, which was abbreviated to simply Martinsyde after Newman’s departure.
Smaller, single-cylinder models were added to the range and Martinsydes began to feature in competitions, achieving some successes at Brooklands and at the Scottish Six Days Trial.
Sadly, a disastrous fire in 1922 destroyed the works and Martinsyde went into liquidation, its name and remaining stock being acquired by BAT.
The last complete Martinsyde was sold in 1923 and today few examples of the marque survive.
New for 1922 were a cast aluminium case for the primary chain and interchangeable and quickly detachable 26×3 wheels.
This rare Martinsyde is equipped with Lucas acetylene lighting.
Amac carb, ML magneto and Desmo bulb horn.
It can be classified as an older restoration in excellent condition.