Motosacoche 1929 “Tourisme Type 413” 498 cc MAG IOE single frame# 17182 engine#1C9 K10 603114
In 1899 the brothers Henri and Armand Dufaux from Geneva, Switzerland, designed a little four-stroke engine.
This compact unit could be bolted into the frame of any ordinary pushbike: The “Motosacoche” -which approximately means “engine-bag”- was born!
Very soon the quality and practical utility of the invention became known even far beyond the Swiss territory.
Gradually the engines became bigger and more powerful, twin cylinders were produced and the initial idea of a motorized pedal-bike was given up.
The factory built complete motorbikes under the “Motosacoche” label, but kept on selling M.A.G. (Motosacoche/ Acacias/ Genève)-engines to many well known manufacturers in France, England, Germany, Austria and Italy.
The 1929 range consisted of five models: a 350 and 500 in the “Tourisme” range fitted with inlet-over-exhaust engine, a 350 and 500 in the “Sport” range with OHV engine and a 750 cc IOE V-twin designated as “Grand-Tourisme”.
The 413 was fitted with a 82×94 ioe engine for which the company claimed a power output of 14 HP@3600 rpm.
The machine is fitted with a 3-speed Sturmey Archer gearbox and has Bosch electrics, Amac carburettor and 200 mm diameter brakes fore and aft.
The petrol tank has a capacity of 13 litres and the oil tank can hold 3 litres. Fuel consumption is 3½ litres per 100 km, oil consumption is given as one litre per 500 km.
This fine touring machine is fitted with a pillion seat and has been restored some time ago.