New Imperial 1934 246 cc ohv “ M 50 Grand Prix ” frame# 30/320 engine # 44/ 32254/50
After a rather unsuccessful attempt to enter the motorcycle market under the name “ Imperial” in 1901, the company made a serious comeback in 1910 under the name “ New Imperial” and managed to stay in business till 1939.
At first only a few models were offered, a 293 cc side valve single and 8 hp twins, all with JAP engines.
New Imps got the image of “middle of the road” machines, offering good value for money.
In the early twenties the company, based in Hall Green, Birmingham, became more and more active in racing and year by year more models were marketed, to expand the market share in the years in which competition between motorcycle manufacturers was fierce.
Till 1926 JAP proprietary engines were used, after that their own engines were built in.
New Imperial was successful in racing in the Lightweight class during the mid-twenties and in the thirties the successes were continued: in 1931 Ted Mellors gained third place in the Lightweight TT, in 1932 Les Davenport became second, a performance equalled by Charlie Dodson in 1933.
In 1936 Bob Foster won the Lightweight on his 246 New Imperial with an average speed of almost 75 mph.
The company was eager to cash in on these successes and offered two “over the counter” racers, the 246 cc Model 50 Grand Prix and the 346 cc Model 60.
The Model 50 has bore x stoke dimensions of 62,5 x 80 mm.
This ex-Stanford Hall Collection machine has an Albion 4 speed gearbox, a BTH racing magneto and is in original, unrestored condition.