NSU 1928 model “501” 494 cc side valve combination frame#813760 engine#108176
The company started as a knitting machine manufacturer ( Neckarsulmer Strickmaschinen Union)
and went into the bicycle trade in 1886. It was a logic step to move into motorcycle production and in 1901 the first motorised NSU bicycle with Zédel clip-on engine was produced.
Soon the development and production of the company’s own engines were taken up and the firm became one of the biggest motorcycle firms in Germany.
In the twenties a line of sturdy machines was developed, of which this model “501” is a fine example.
The machine has a unit construction engine with three speed gearbox.
The factory claimed a power output of 11 HP, giving a top speed of 95-100 km/ hour.
Ignition and lighting are taken care of by a reliable Bosch system.
The fashionable lightweight AJL sidecar was a product from H. Ahlborn Junior in Leipzig.
This pleasant combination is in excellent shape and comes complete with speedometer and suitcase, ready for a holiday tour.