NSU 1929 model “501T” 498 cc OHV frame # 813308 engine # 113896
The company started as a knitting machine manufacturer (Neckarsulmer Strickmaschinen Union) and went into the bicycle trade in 1886. For many companies, including NSU, it was a logic step to move into motorcycle production and in 1901 the first motorised NSU bicycle with Zédel clip-on engine was presented. Soon the development and production of the company’s own engines were taken up and the firm became one of the biggest motorcycle firms in Germany.
In 1927 the company introduces the 501 T, a sturdily-built 500cc side valve with three-speed unit construction engine and all chain drive. The bore/stroke dimensions are 80×99 mm and the engine has a front mounted magdyno. The power output is 11 hp which gives a top speed of about 100 km. This new model proves very reliable and between 1927 and the end of 1929 more than 13,000 units are sold.
The machine we present here is running well. She has been nicely restored and comes complete with Bosch electric lighting, aluminium footboards and pillion seat.