OEC 1925 350cc side valve Blackburne frame # 1036 OBS engine # DEL 1286
The Osborn Engineering Company was in business with an interruption of a number of years from 1901 to 1954. In those years a vast range of models was produced, ranging from humble light two strokes to sporting big V-twins.
OEC was very active in designing and building special frames for racing and record breaking machines.
A famous design was also the “duplex-steering spring-chassis” , an invention of John Osborn.
It was introduced as “ a new standard in two wheel stability” in 1927.
The idea was that the duplex “forks” would give superior steering and road holding. To the same chassis one could have anything from a 250 single to a 1000 cc twin; in 1930 the World Speed Record was taken briefly by a duplex-steering OEC fitted with a supercharged 1000 cc JAP V-twin. Top speed was 137.32 miles per hour!
Next to the “duplex” models there were models with conventional forks such as this restored example.
It is equipped with a handsome and sturdy outside-flywheel Blackburne power source.
The equipment includes full acetylene lighting, bulb horn and passenger seat.