Opel 1930 “Motoclub” 496 cc OHV two port single frame # 4323 engine # A 4507
Adam Opel’s company was situated in Rüsselsheim am Main in Germany and among its products were sewing machines, bicycles, cars and motorcycles. The latter products were made in three periods: for some years in the early 1900s, then from 1913 till halfway the twenties and finally from 1928 till 1930. At the Berlin Automobile and Motorcycle show in 1928 Opel stunned the motorcycle folk with the display of two very extravagant looking machines. Frame, front suspension, tank, saddle and handlebars were unorthodox to say the least. This, combined with the cadmium plated matt silver finish of all metal parts and the bright red components like saddle, tyres, handlebar grips, foot rests and kick-start rubber made for an awesome sight.
The design itself was not Opel’s, the company had secured the production rights of the rolling motorcycle chassis system of the very unorthodox and multitalented Ernst Neumann-Neander. One of the great advantages, Neumann-Neander claimed, was that his pressed steel frame construction made it possible to reduce the assembly time of a motorcycle from between 20 to 25 man hours to no more than four man hours. Other features were short, vertically placed leaf springs, great accessibility of all parts and comfortable seating for the rider. Opel offered OHV and SV versions of the 496 cc power source. Production lasted till 1930. This powerful ohv delivers 22hp and is fitted with Bosch ignition and lighting, tank top speedometer, petrol level indicator in filler cap and centre stand. For two-up touring there’s a Denfeld sprung pillion seat, finished in read leather of course. Note the striking design of the two short exhaust dampers and the stylish and elegant enamelled badges with the Opel logo on the front and rear mudguards. This rare and unconventional machine has been restored with much attention to detail and is a strong runner.