Panther ca. 1936 “ 80 Redwing” 348cc OHV single frame # A 2486592 A engine # W4032
P&M motorcycles were produced for more than 60 years; the last 650 cc sloping engine singles left the Cleckheaton ( Yorkshire) factory in 1966.
The name “ Panther” was added during the 1920s.
Many different models were made, but the typical Panther layout was that of the sloping engine that acted as an essential component of the frame diamond.
An important addition to Panther’s 1932 range was a 250cc, overhead-valve, four-stroke model that used a conventional frame rather than the stressed-member sloping engine of the larger models.
It was this model that would form the basis of the famous ‘Red Panther’ sold by South London dealership Pride & Clarke.
Next to the “ low budget” Red Panther range there were “ Redwing” models with more elaborate specifications in capacities of 348cc, 490 cc and 598 cc.
This “80 Redwing” is a good runner but its looks could do with a makeover,