Peugeot 1904 2 ½ HP ca 300 cc aiv single frame # 5846 engine # 4508
Although a prototype De Dion-engined Peugeot bicycle was displayed at the Paris Salon in 1898, the first motorized cycles to leave the factory were actually tricycles with De Dion & Bouton engines. The popularity of the tricycle was unchallenged at first, but by 1902 the motorized bicycle started to take the lead: at the Paris Salon in December 1901 81 motorised cycles were exhibited, of which there were only 21 tricycles or quadricycles. One of the sixty motorized bicycles present was a Peugeot, propelled by a 1 ½ HP ZL engine. The engine was clipped to the front down tube and had a displacement of 198 cc. Its weight was only 35 kilograms and a cruising speed of between 25 and 40 km/h was attainable. For 1903 the engine was placed in the “New Werner Position” and now two models were catalogued, one with 2HP ZL engine and the other with Peugeot’s own 2 HP power source, both types having the same cycle parts. For 1904 the output of the standard model was brought to 2 ½ HP and a new model with 2 ¾ HP side valve engine was also available. The machines cost 850 and 870 Francs respectively.
This machine is a well-presented older restoration. She is fitted with the then new “Truffault” front suspension, for which Peugeot had secured the production rights and that was available at an extra of 70 Francs. Accessories fitted are bulb horn and Riemann “Germania” front acetylene lamp.