Peugeot 1913 Motocyclette Légère 2 ½ HP Type “MD2” 380 cc AIV V-twin frame # 17017 engine # 25971
In 1910 Peugeot brought out a light V- twin motorcycle that was to become an enormous success. The “Moto Légère MD” was equipped with a 333 cc 45 degree V-twin engine with automatic inlet valves, direct belt transmission, Bosch magneto, single lever Claudel carburettor and Truffault front forks.
The little machine proved easy to start, easy to handle and was very reliable. Moreover, it weighed only 40 kgs and was able to sustain a practical running speed of 60 km/h.
For model year 1913 the bore was enlarged from 70 to 80 mm which resulted in a capacity of 380 cc and a speed of 70 km/h.
This machine was catalogued as “MD2”.
In 4 years some 10,000 machines were sold and this motorcycle was the most popular French motorcycle of pre- ww 1 days.
The machine has 2 brakes on the rear wheel which are applied by levers on the handlebars.
The Claudel carburettor is operated by a single lever on the right side of the handlebars; on that side we also find the valve lifter.
Close to the left hand side grip we find the magneto cutout.
This machine comes complete with luggage box with ‘Motocycle Club de France’ plaque and front and rear lamps.
This excellently restored machine was formerly part of the Richard C Paine Jr. Collection in Maine, USA and until recently it has formed part of the Fabergé Museum collection in Germany. http://www.faberge-museum.de/index.php?lang=en