Raleigh 1928 496 cc OHV Sports engine OHV 368
In the beginning of the 20th century Raleigh’s main business was in the cycle trade.
Company founder Frank Bowden was a firm believer in variable gear systems and from the end of 1902 the Raleigh Cycle company put the Sturmey-Archer cycle hub gear on the market.
There was some motorcycle production between 1899 and 1906, but only after the first world war some serious thought was given again to motorcycle production.
In the early twenties a 699 cc flat twin was produced; from 1922 mostly single cylinder side valve singles were put on the market and these economical, well made machines proved to be great sellers.
In 1925 the first OHV Raleigh was brought out: the Raleigh engineers had designed an overhead valve top end for their outside flywheel 2 ¾ engine.
The Motor Cycle tested such a model in march 1925 and found it handled well, went well (62 mph) and was free from unpleasant vibration. This success prompted the factory to market an OHV machine in the 500 cc class, with bore and stroke dimensions of 79×101 mm.
This purposeful, sporty machine is a concours restoration.