René Gillet 1926 6cv Model “G 1” 750 cc side valve V-twin frame # 9255 engine # 5390 23.5.26
René Gillet was born in 1877 in the French town of Troyes as the son of a railway employee.
He was mechanically gifted and started to experiment with the construction of engines when he was around twenty years old.
In his first attempts to construct motorized bicycles he placed the engine above the front wheel like the Werner brothers did, but later on he moved the engine to the bracket position.
At first his workshop was situated in the Villa Collet, a side street off Rue Didot in the 14th district of Paris.
Later on he moved to bigger premises at the Route d’Orléans in Montrouge, only a few miles to the south.
Commercial scale motorcycle production started around 1902 and from 1904 Mr. Gillet’s main interest became the development of 45o V-twin motorcycles.
The first model was a 500 cc machine with automatic intake valves.
René Gillet machines became very popular because of their sturdy construction and reliable running.
They were especially suited for use with a sidecar and the French Army and Police Forces became regular customers of the company.
After 1945 business declined because of lack of development; some light two stroke models were marketed but in 1955 the company was taken over by Peugeot and in 1958 the curtain fell.
This model G has bore x stroke of 97.7 x 70 mm and delivers about 14 HP.
Petrol capacity is 12 litres, the oil compartment holds 4 litres.
The wheels are quickly detachable and exchangeable.
The clutch can be operated by hand and by foot.
The machine comes with various extras and accessories: electric lighting, electric horn, dashboard with amp gauge and switch, O.S. speedometer and clock, jiffy stand, rear view mirror and oil can in special holder on front forks.
The crankcase shows the date of engine manufacture: May 23, 1926.
This sturdy and reliable vintage twin has been extremely well restored with great attention to detail and finish.